Female leaders today are busy people with a lot going on in their lives. One thing they can make their manageable asset is their wardrobe. Women in the workplace can discover how to present themselves with authority and respect with these tips…
Can female leaders dress professionally AND fashionably? YES.
If you work in an office, either as an employee or a freelancer in 2021, you know that times have changed when it comes to professional clothing. The days of wearing the same dull suit every single day are mostly gone. Today, the general rule is more lax.
While the relaxing guidelines regarding office attire is welcomed by some, for others, this more casual approach can create anxiety. Some people feel pressured to wear something original, some don’t know what to wear if the dress code is strictly enforced.
We will walk you through the do’s and don’ts of office attire in 2021 and beyond with this female leaders guide to contemporary professional attire.
Female Leaders Today Can Win With Individuality
The biggest piece of advice we can give inspirational female leaders about what to wear to work in 2021 is: Be yourself.
Companies want individuals on their team, not “sheeple,” as the saying goes. Diversity is a higher priority for the workforce. In turn, it is important to employers. Don’t be afraid to let your true colors shine through in what you wear. All in good taste, of course.
Pieces that radiate individuality include:
- Colorful clothing – If you want to stand out from the crowd and you love wearing bright colors, don’t be afraid to do this at work. You don’t need to mute your wardrobe just because it seems more ‘professional’ – Let the real you shine through!
- Bold hair and makeup – Keep in mind, the company you work for isn’t allowed to discriminate against you based on your hair and makeup choices. That said, you also want to be acceptable within your niche. Don’t be afraid to nurture your creativity as long as you are respectful to those around you.
Statement Pieces Make The Difference
When it comes to dressing to impress, statement pieces go a long way. Items that you will wear or carry daily, like:
- A handbag
- A briefcase
- A watch
- A coat
Should be treated as an investment.
Try putting some focus on statement pieces when putting together your professional wardrobe. On a budget? You can shop pre-owned Panerai watches, for example, which will help you make a fashion statement without completely breaking the bank.
Embrace Brand Values Here And Now
If you work in a client-facing role, you must remember that you represent the values of your company while at work. This means your clothing should reflect the:
- Brand voice
That the company upholds.
On this basis, the types of clothing to avoid include:
- Revealing items – Whether you are a man or a woman, overly revealing clothing can be off-putting to clients.
- Political clothing and accessories – Everyone has their own political views. But at work, it is not helpful to shout about politics – Particularly to your clients. Slogan t-shirts, badges or hats should be kept for personal wear only.
- Clothing with offensive language on it – Put simply, if you have an extreme vocabulary expressed via clothing outside of work, it’s best to keep it away from the office.
Overall, dressing for work is not the same now as it was a decade ago. Female leaders in history had a different landscape. With these updated rules come different fashion challenges, so try the tips above to help you overcome them in your professional life.